To determine if infectious diseases like Lyme Disease are a precipitating factor for other diseases like scleroderma.
Participants: Females of childbearing age
Data: Genetic, Environmental, Lab work, Pain assessments, Any factors that could moderate outcomes.
Frequency of data: monthly ? during pregnancy... more »
- Improve identification of patients at high risk for sepsis
- Improve characterization of patients with sepsis (endotyping)
- Predict outcomes of acute infections and/or sepsis at the time of presentation
- Develop companion diagnostics (biomarkers?) that identify patients responding to specific sepsis therapies
- Improve early diagnosis of pathogens causing sepsis and their resistance... more »
How is precision medicine as it applies to infectious diseases different than how it is considered for Oncology or other fields?
• Time-pressured setting (e.g., initiating therapy for a hospital acquired or ventilator-associated bacterial pneumonia patient)
• Microbiome vs. human genome
• Intersections with other cognitive and procedural specialties across the board
Specific research questions re pathogenesis and treatment:
- What aspects of the indigenous microbiota mediate colonization resistance against C. difficile, as well as other multi-drug resistant organisms such as carbapenamase-producing gram negative bacteria and vancomycin resistant... more »